|January 2||Grand Duke Jean -- Definitive (8 F)|
|February 18||LSA Franking Label|
|March 3||World Congress of Rose Societies|
|March 3||Tourism -- Koerich and Mersch|
|March 3||Treaties of Rome -- 40th Anniversary|
|March 3||Belgium-Luxembourg Economic Union -- 75th Anniversary|
|May 12||Europa -- Stories and Legends|
|May 12||Grand-Ducal Gendarmerie -- Bicentennial|
|May 12||Luxembourg Union of Small Domestic Animals Farming Societies -- 75th Anniversary|
|May 12||Mondorf-les-Bains Spas -- 150th Anniversary|
|May 12||JUVALUX '98 World Philatelic Exhibition|
|October 16||SAR-LOR-LUX European Area|
|October 16||Antique Clocks|
|December 8||Indigenous Trees III (Charity Issue)|
|December 8||Christmas 1997|
|December 8||Henri V the Blond -- 750th Anniversary of Accession|
The Luxembourg P&T installed an LSA-brand stamp vending machine at the Auchan shopping center in Luxembourg-Kirchberg on February 18, 1997. This machine dispenses self-adhesive franking labels of any denomination selected by the postal customer. It also has the ability to weigh items and indicate the correct postage required. The 16 F label shown here covers the 0-20 g European rate set on February 1, 1995.
These stamps depict three special varieties of rose -- "Grand Duchess Charlotte", "The Beautiful Sultana", and "In Memory of Jean Soupert". They were issued to publicize the 11th World Congress of Rose Societies held in the Benelux countries on July 5-12, 1997.
Luxembourg has been known as the "land of roses" since 1889 when the French press wrote a glowing review for a spectacular rose display created by the Luxembourg growers Soupert & Notting for the Unversal Exhibition in Paris in 1889.
The rose industry was quite important to Luxembourg from about 1855 to the start of World War II. After the war, however, the industry rapidly declined. In 1980, the "Friends of the Rose" association was formed to rekindle interest in rose growing by home gardeners.
Mersch is home to the Servais House, built in 1788 by Philippe Servais, the grandfather of the statesman Emmanuel Servais. It was donated to the Mersch local authority in 1985 by Jeanne Servais, the last living member of the family. It was declared a national monument in 1990 and was later restored and refurbished to become home to the National Literature Center.
Koerich has a 17th century church characterized by a picturesque bulbous tower, a baroque style high altar and magnificent paneling.
This stamp depicts the house in Luxembourg-Clausen where Robert Schuman, the father of modern Europe, was born. This house is now the Center for European Studies and Research.
On March 25, 1957, two treaties were signed in Rome. One established the European Economic Community (EEC) with the mission of forming a Common Market, and the other the European Atomic Energy Community (EURATOM). The treaties came into effect on January 1, 1958.
The Belgium-Luxembourg Economic Union (U.E.B.L.) was set up by the Brussels Convention of July 25, 1921 and came into effect on March 6, 1922 for a duration of 50 years. It has been extended from 1972 for successive ten-year periods. The U.E.B.L. unites Belgium and Luxembourg in their relations with other countries in an economic and customs union.
The stamp shows a drawing of a wing of Mercury, the God of Commerce, in the colors of the flags of Luxembourg and Belgium.
The theme for these Europa stamps is "stories and legends". The stamps depict two famous Luxembourg folk tales, "Melusina of Luxembourg" and "The Hunter of Hollenfels Castle".
Melusina was the folkloric wife of Count Sigefroid who magically made the powerful Bock castle appear the morning after their wedding. One of her terms of marriage, however, was that she be allowed one day of absolute privacy each week. Alas, Sigefroid could not resist temptation and on one of the forbidden days he spied on her in her Roman bath and discovered her to be a mermaid. When he let out a surprised cry, Melusina caught sight of him and her bath immediately sank into the solid rock, carrying her with it. Melusina surfaces briefly every seven years as a beautiful woman or as a serpent, holding a small golden key in her mouth. Whoever takes the key from her will set her free and may claim her as his bride. [References: Luxembourg, Land of Legends (W. J. Taylor-Whitehead, 1951), pp. 29-34; The Land of Haunted Castles (Robert J. Casey, 1921), pp. 49-64.]
The Hunter of Hollenfels Castle was in league with the devil. Even today, his soul roams the extensive forests surrounding the castle with three white dogs at night. He has no sympathy for young drunkards and rolls them in front of him like a wheel.
The National Mounted Gendarmerie Corps was founded by a legislative Act of 1797. Its mandate is to maintain public order, ensure the safety of citizens, and to guarantee the application of the law. This elite corps currently has 630 members.
The Luxembourg Union of Small Domestic Animals Farming Societies was founded in 1922 and currently has 42 member associations representing more than 5,000 people. The goal of the Union is to preserve and encourage animal farming on a small scale.
The first therapeutic spa opened in Mondorf-les-Bains in 1847. The highly-mineralized spring water was tapped during unsuccessful salt deposit exploration during the early 1840s.
These stamps were issued to publicize the JUVALUX '98 World Philatelic Exhibition to be held in Luxembourg on June 18-21, 1998 at the International Convention Center on the Kirchberg plateau. The themes depicted on these stamps are youth philately and postal history.
This stamp publicizes a 1980 agreement between Luxembourg, France, and Germany which calls for cross-border cooperation in the Luxembourg, Lorraine, and Saar regions. The cooperation encompasses the administrative, technical, social, economic, and cultural fields.
This was a joint issue with France and Germany.
These stamps show three clocks made by Luxembourg craftsmen in the 19th century. They are on display in the National History and Art Museum in Luxembourg City.
The 16 F stamp shows a drawing by J.-P. Gleis of the old Kalborn Mill near Clervaux. This mill was probably built sometime during the 17th century but it was severely damaged during World War II and was eventually torn down in 1982.
The 50 F stamp shows a technical drawing that illustrates the working of a grist mill. The drawing is from Agostino Ramelli's 1588 book "Le Diverse et Artificiose Machine" but has since appeared in several works on the technology and history of mills.
Four trees native to Luxembourg are pictured on the stamps of this semipostal set for the benefit of charity:
This stamp depicts an enamel panel by German artist Egino Weinert. He has produced religious works for a number of chapels and churches in Luxembourg.
This stamp commemorates the 750th anniversary of the accession to power of Henri V the Blond (ruled 1247-1281), Count of Luxembourg. The son of Countess Ermesinde, Henri V was a skillful diplomat who continued the policy of territorial expansion begun by his mother. It was he who created the national coat-of-arms featuring the lion rampant.
This stamp show a 17th century drawing of the tomb of Henri V the Blond at Clairefontaine Abbey. It is kept at the National Archives in Luxembourg City.