- Christophory, Jul and Thoma, Emile, World Bibliographical Series: Luxembourg, Volume 23, revised edition (Clio Press, 1997). This book, in English, provides a comprehensive bibliography of books and other printed resources relating to Luxembourg history, culture, and business.
- The Living Book of Luxembourg City (Macintosh/Windows CD-ROM; Luxembourg City Tourist Office, 2000).
This is a comprehensive multimedia look at Luxembourg City. It includes over 150 narrated accounts of city sites and city history as well as a complete interactive map.
- Luxembourg Interactif (Macintosh/Windows CD-ROM; Digit 3.5.2, 1996 edition).
This software is trilingual (English, French, German) and covers Luxembourg history, tourism, economy, and cultural heritage.
- The Grand Duchy of Luxembourg (28 pp.; Information and Press Service of the Luxembourg Government, 1993)
- The Luxembourg Grand Ducal Family (112 pp.; Information and Press Service of the Luxembourg Government, 1994)
- Newton, Gerald, Luxembourg and Letzebuergesch: Language and Communication at the Crossroads of Europe (Clarendon Press, 1996)
- Erasmus, George, How to Remain What You Are (Editions Le Phare, 1999).
A humorous look at Luxembourg culture and history.
Folklore (in English)
- Taylor-Whitehead, W.J., Luxembourg, Land of Legends (144 pp.; Constable and Company Ltd., 1951). This book describes many of the legendary stories relating to the territory of Luxembourg.
Periodicals (in English)
- Luxembourg News of America, 5204 Brown Street, Skokie, IL. Telephone: 847/675-5204. This monthly newsletter contains information for and about Luxembourgers living in North America.
Tourist Guides (in English)
- A Brief Survey of the City of Luxembourg (64 pp.; Information and Press Service, 1993)
- Destination The Grand Duchy of Luxembourg (194 pp.; Review Publishing Company, ca. 1991)
- The Grand Duchy of Luxemburg (140 pp.; Editions Guy Binsfeld, ca. 1989)
- Touristic Photoguide of the City of Luxembourg (80 pp.; Messageries du Livre, ca. 1989)
- Luxembourg City-Guide (176 pp.; Editions Guy Binsfeld, ca. 1995)
- Luxembourg: The Grand Duchy (128 pp.; Editions Guy Binsfeld, ca. 1989)
- Luxembourg and its Surroundings, 7th edition (77 pp.; Cosyn Guides, ca. 1989)
Tourist Guides (in French)
- 1000 Ans en 100 Minutes - Itineraire Wenzel (96 pp.; Editions Saint-Paul, 1995)
- "Bonjour Luxembourg - Promenade à Travers le Coeur Historique de la Capitale (72 pp.; Luxembourg City Tourist Office, 1995)
- Becker, C. and Calteux, G. Routes Culturelles du Grand-Duché de Luxembourg (144 pp.; Editions Labor, 1995)
Smets, Peter, Le Grand-Duché de Luxembourg (192 pp.; Lannoo Editions, 1995). This guide has solid descriptions of each of the major regions of Luxembourg. The last half of the guide describe several interesting hiking, cycling, and automobile trips around the country.
Grand-Duché de Luxembourg (240 pp.; Casterman, 1995). This is a very good guide that is organized by subject matter rather than geographical location. It includes a useful town dictionary which includes brief descriptions of each town and what they have to offer the visitor.
Grand-Duché de Luxembourg (192 pp.; Guides Gallimard, 1998). This is the best tourist guide I've seen for Luxembourg. It is beautifully presented in full color with many photographs, maps, and drawings. A true masterpiece.
History Books (in English)
- Passmore, Rev. T.H., In Further Ardenne: A Study of the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg (330 pp.; E.P. Dutton & Co., 1905). This book includes a history of Luxembourg plus a contemporary look at the country.
- Renwick, George, Luxemburg, the Grand Duchy and its People (311 pp.; T. Fisher Unwin, 1913). A good description of the various regions of Luxembourg just before World War I.
- Putnam, Ruth, Luxemburg and Her Neighbours (498 pp.; G.P. Putnam's Sons, 1918). A detailed look at the history of the Luxembourg region from 1780 to the start of World War I.
- Casey, Robert J., The Land of Haunted Castles (506 pp.; The Century Co., 1921). An interesting analysis of Luxembourg written shortly after World War I. Lots of interesting photographs from the early 20th century.
- O'Shaugnessy, Edith, Marie Adelaide (304 pp.; Cape and Ballou, 1932). An interesting examination of Grand Duchess Marie-Adélaïde and her times.
- Jarrett, Bede, The Emperor Charles IV (270 pp.; Sheed & Ward, 1935). An account of the life and times of Charles IV of Luxembourg.
- Herchen, Arthur, (updated by N. Margue and J. Meyers; translated and annotated by A.H. Cooper-Prichard), History of the Grand Duchy of Luxemburg, 5th edition (299 pp.; P. Linden, 1950). (Translation of the Manuel d'Histoire Nationale, 5th edition, 1947.)
- Gade, John Allyne, Luxemburg in the Middle Ages (238 pp.; E.J. Brill, 1951)
- Petit, Joseph, Luxembourg Yesterday and Today (104 pp.; P. Linden, 1953)
- Newcomer, James, The Grand Duchy of Luxembourg: The Evolution of Nationhood 963 A.D. to 1983 (358 pp.; University Press of America, 1984). Republished in 1995 by Editions Emile Borschette (Luxembourg).
- Calmes, Christian, The Making of a Nation From 1815 to the Present Day (526 pp.; Editions Saint-Paul, 1989). This is the English edition. It includes a comprehensive analysis of the conditions leading up to the creation of the Grand Duchy at the Congress of Vienna in 1815.
- Barteau, Harry C., Historical Dictionary of Luxembourg -- European Historical Dictionaries Series, Vol. No. 14 (392 pp; Scarecrow Press, 1996; ISBN 0-8108-3106-6).
History Books (in French)
Le Grand-Duché de Luxembourg (272 pp.; Gouvernement Grand-Ducal, 1935). This book describes the economic, social, and political situation of the Grand Duchy in the mid-1930s and includes many interesting sepia photographs from the era. It was prepared in support of Luxembourg's presence at the Brussels Universal and International Exhibition.
- Le Luxembourg, Livre du Centenaire (676 pp.; Gouvernement Grand-Ducal, 1945).
- Musée d'Histoire de la Ville de Luxembourg (80 pp.; Musée d'Histoire de la Ville de Luxembourg, 1996)
- LaFontaine, Paul, Notre Dynastie: Les origines des Nassau et le règne des Nassau-Weilburg au grand-duché de Luxembourg (1890-1990) (171 pp.; Editions Saint-Paul, 1990)
- Trausch, Gilbert, Histoire du Luxembourg (256 pp.; Hatier, 1992)
- Trausch, Gilbert, Manuel d'Histoire Luxembourgeoise, Volume III - Le Luxembourg sous l'Ancien Régime, 3e édition (176 pp.; Ministère de l'Education Nationale, 1993). This book is used in Luxembourg high schools.
- Trausch, Gilbert, Manuel d'Histoire Luxembourgeoise, Volume IV - Le Luxembourg à l'Epoque Contemporaine, 2e édition (240 pp.; Editions Bourg-Bourger, 1981). This book is used in Luxembourg high schools.
History Books (in German)
Thill, Gérard, Manuel d'Histoire Luxembourgeoise, Volume I - Vor-und Frühgeschichte Luxemburgs (120 pp.; Ministère de l'Education Nationale, 1992). This book is used in Luxembourg high schools.
Margue, Paul, Manuel d'Histoire Luxembourgeoise, Volume II - Luxemburg in Mittelalter und Neuzeit (160 pp.; Ministère de l'Education Nationale, 1995). This book is used in Luxembourg high schools.
Business Books (in English)
- The Institutions of the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg (80 pp.; Ministry of State, 1995)
- Investment in Luxembourg (158 pp.; Ministry of the Economy, 1992)
- Luxembourg in Figures 1999 (36 pp.; STATEC, 1999)
- Shackleton, Robert, Free and Independent Luxemburg (Harper's Monthly Magazine, January 1907, pp. 173-181)
- Williams, Maynard Owen, The Grand Duchy of Luxembourg, A Miniature Democratic State of Many Charms Against a Feudal Background (National Geographic, November 1924, pp. 500-528)
- Clark, Sydney, Luxembourg, Survivor of Invasions (National Geographic, June 1948, pp. 791-810)
- Conly, Robert Leslie, Luxembourg, the Quiet Fortress (National Geographic, July 1970, pp. 68-97)
- Bryson, Bill, Footloose in Luxembourg (National Geographic Traveler, March/April 1993, pp. 60-81)
Magazines About Luxembourg
- Ons Stad. This magazine is published three times per year by the Luxembourg City government and is distributed free at various locations in Luxembourg City. It often includes feature articles on aspects of Luxembourg history.
- Voilà Luxembourg. This magazine was published by the Information and Press Service of the Luxembourg Government in separate English, French, and German editions. Seven issues were published between 1991 and 1996.
- Luxemburger Wort. This is Luxembourg's highest circulation daily newspaper. Most of the articles are in German.
- Tageblatt. This is a Luxembourg daily newspaper. Most of the articles are in French.
- Le Jeudi. This is a weekly newspaper published every Thursday.
- Republicain Lorrain. This newspaper covers the southern part of Luxembourg and the Lorraine area of France.
Special Collections of Luxembourg material in the United States
Luxembourg Book Publishers
Last updated on June 8, 2004.
- STATEC (Service Central de la Statistique et des Etudes Economiques)
6, boulevard Royal
Tel: (+352) 478-4268
Fax: (+352) 46 42 89
- Editions Guy Binsfeld
Boîte postale 2773
14, Place du Parc
Tel: (+352) 49 68 68
Fax: (+352) 40 76 09
- Editions Saint-Paul
16, rue Christophe Plantin
Tel: (+352) 49 93 275
Fax: (+352) 49 93 580
- Editions-Galérie Schortgen
121, rue de l'Alzette
Tel: (+352) 54 64 87
Fax: (+352) 53 05 34
- Information and Press Service of the Luxembourg Government
3, rue du St. Esprit
Tel: (+352) 478 218
Fax: (+352) 47 02 85